THE FIRST-EVER BOARD MASTER CLASS IN INDIA
IN AID OF MEDICI INSTITUTE FOUNDATION
Recent events in Indian boardrooms – from the Tatas and Infosys to ICICI and Axis Bank – reaffirm that boardroom surprises will continue. There are a multitude of reasons for this and one of the key factors is the constitution of the right board members and their ability to manage their duties.
This first-ever master class will equip existing board members and board aspirants become better at governance and set global benchmarks. It will indeed help them qualify for bigger roles and better governance hitherto unforeseen in India.
In aid of the Medici Institute Foundation for Diversity and Innovation, registered under Section-25 of the Companies Act,this one-day master class and follow up sessions will be led by the internationally acclaimed Boardroom guru Ralph Ward along with other experts for practical insights in making alignment and strategic governance.
Ralph Ward, along with Medici co-founder Dr Muneer, has been on the forefront of board governance advocacy and together has been writing several expert columns in India (Economic Times, Business Standard, Business Today and Business World) on practical solutions to issues faced by boards. Check http://www.mediciinstitute.org/thought-leadership.php for some of these path-breaking thoughts.
Featuring in-depth discussion on the development and role of boards, governance best practice, structuring effective boards, leadership, and handling “inside the boardroom” conflicts, the Master classwill give participants an intensive, “virtual boardroom” training experience.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Existing board members who desire to govern more effectively and bring in new perspectives to exemplary governance
- Senior executives who want to get into board positions in the near future
- Executives who desire to become board members of startups and SMEs
- Regulatory advisors who want to discover new benchmarks of governance
- Company Secretaries and Chartered Accountants
- Executives in the C-Suite, Presidents, VPs and all functional heads
TAKEAWAYS FROM THE MASTERCLASS
- The Kotak recommendations, board independence and diversity rules are changing how every board will operate, its makeup, and its duties. Our program will help your board be ready today for the changes you’ll face tomorrow.
- You’ll learn how the roles of promoters, CEOs and board members are supposed to function in the boardroom, how they REALLY function, and how you can improve the balance of power.
- Don’tbecome the next corporate scandal! We’ll look at how boards failed Tata, Infosys, IL&FS, and other noted companies, and the valuable lessons they can teach for better governance.
- Indian boards now face the dangerous mix of far tougher oversight demands, greater legal liability, and less time to deliver on them. We/’ll give you the tools and tips needed for a boardroom that’s far more efficient, delivering better oversight, with less time, less work (and less frustration).
- Learn how family businesses can select from governance best practices to improve results, ease tensions, and shape succession policies.
- Here are the controls and tools your directors can use to spot risk, fraud, dangers and opportunities - custom designed for the unique role of the board.
- Real boardroom exercises: How do we handle a crisis? How do we cope with a boardroom dispute? Is management telling us the truth?
- All participants will be eligible for follow-up sessions over videoconferences to upgrade and enhance skills learnt at the master class, over the next one year.
- Ralph will certify participants as for completion of the master class based on an assessment test.
- A free copy of Ralph’s e-book “Boardroom Q&A”will be provided to all participants.
MINIMUM CONTRIBUTION PER DELEGATE
This is totally a charity event meant to raise funds for the Medici Institute. All delegates are expected to contribute towards doing a great thing by giving a contribution to learn better governance for themselves and for their companies. Since it is a skill development, companies can sponsor via the CSR funds as well.
(All contributions go towards the social initiatives of Medici
The year-long masterclass and certification are divided into three sections
with the following minimum contributions:
Masterclass in DELHI (FEB 25) or MUMBAI (FEB 26): Rs 22500
Four quarterly interactions: Rs 10000
Assessment and Certification: Rs 7500
For special concessions to attend with bulk delegates, SMEs, start-ups, academicians, early bird registrants, etc, please contact email@example.com
Welcome Address :
9:10 – 10:00 AM
How Boards Got This Way (and Why it Matters)
- Why the corporate board model became the world standard (even if it is flawed).
- Brief overview of major global governance standards (SEBI, OECD, Word Bank, ICGN). What roles do they lay out for a board and its members?
- What good board and governance gems are hidden away in these codes? The hidden challenges -- and benefits -- of the Kotak governance report.
10:00 - 11:30 AM
The Structure and Workings of an Effective Board
These are the tools that make or break your board’s governance. Planning and scheduling the board agenda and calendar. Board meetings that work.
- How smart boards lay out schedules and agendas.
- Great global tips for better, more effective board meetings (with less time and effort).
- Agenda design as a board power tool.
- Shaping board info that enlightens and empowers (and doesn’t overload and obscure).
11:30 – 11:45 AM
Coffee/Networking Break :
11:45 - 12:30 PM
The Board and Management
Relations between the board and CEO. Chief executive succession planning and evaluation. Working with legal counsel, company secretary, auditors, chief financial officers.
- CEO selection and succession - board job #1
- How does the board evaluate CEO performance?
- Working with your CFO, company counsel, auditors - what works best?
- Your company secretary as the board’s best friend.
12:30 – 01:30 PM
1:30 - 02:30 PM
Building and Evaluating Your Board of Directors
Young companies gain a powerful head start on success by shaping a board of directors with best practice corporate governance in its DNA.
- How to reach outside your networks to recruit strong board talents.
- How will Indian companies meet the new demand for board skills?
- Training and orienting your new members.
- A step-by-step board evaluation outline you can put to work immediately.
02:30 - 03:30 PM
Board Oversight That Works - Controls and Strategy
How does a board build solid strategic discussions with management? Boards are too often isolated from the company controls and performance indicators they need.
- How can they respond?
- What is your board’s role in shaping strategy?
- How do you measure strategic progress?
- How can boards best monitor performance of management, financials, legal compliance and company results?
- Crafting financial, compliance and operational controls boards and committees can use.
- Risk management - does the board know the real risks (and can it monitor them)?
03:30 - 3:45 PM
Coffee/Networking Break :
03:45 - 04:30 PM
Tough, realistic boardroom issues, and how to work out solutions.
- What is the most common conflict causes for boards?
- What would you do exercises -- A founder can’t let go - what does a board do?
- Competing blocs within the boardroom - how to build consensus? A member seems to be placing personal interests above the good of the company - what to do? Promoter and CEO power struggles. A tough, realistic boardroom crisis exercise -- what does YOUR board do?
04:30 - 04:45 PM
Board Scorecards for Alignment
HOW TO REGISTER
Register by Email or Phone
Please send the details of the delegates in the following format (Name, designation, company, address, Mobile and telephone numbers, email ID.)
Mobile: +91 99208 22866
For special rates and offers
Contact Kavita Mistry at +91 22 2884 5186 | +91 93200 48060 and Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Payment by cheque or demand draft should be made in favour of Medici Institute Foundation for Diversity and Innovation
ABOUT RALPH WARD
to Boards and Bestselling Author
Publisher, Boardroom News
Editor, Corporate Board Journal
Ralph Ward is an
internationally recognized speaker, writer, and advisor on the role
of board of directors, how “benchmark” boards excel, setting
personal boardroom goals, and the future of governance
Ward publishes a well-read online newsletter on boards, the worldwide source for practical, first-hand advice on better boards and directors. He also edits The Corporate Board magazine, America’s leading corporate governance journal, subscribed by major corporations across 30 countries. He is the author of six acclaimed books on board and governance for today’s corporate boards, the challenges they face, and the answers they need to excel. Some of these include Board Seeker Guidebook, Boardroom Q&A, The New Boardroom Leaders, Saving the Corporate Board, and Improving Corporate Boards.
Ward’s media appearances include CNNfn, C-SPAN, Voice of America, Bloomberg, National Public Radio, CNBC. He writes and comments on boardroom matters for publications, including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, The Economic Times, Business Standard and Business World. He serves on several advisory and non-profit boards.
Ward also advises rising executives seeking to add a board seat to their resume. He teaches a highly successful “Board Wannabe” program for Gerson Lehrman Group (GLG) on board-targeting strategies (execs include such companies as Pfizer, Eli Lilly, and Astellas).
ABOUT MEDICI INSTITUTE FOUNDATION FOR DIVERSITY AND INNOVATION
Set up under the guidance and mentorship of the late Indian President Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, the Medici Institute aims to help governments at all levels to execute what they have promised at the polls both at the macro and micro levels. At the centre of its framework is the Balanced Execution Agenda that aims to translate poll manifesto into actionable and measurable goals that are linked in a cause and effect way between drivers and outcomes. A one-page strategic agenda map oversees the entire mind-set change at the policy makers’ level. It pushes for the alignment of budgets with the planning and aims to align ministries, departments and government employees around the key deliverables. It also brings together different stakeholders to ensure that the citizen-centric innovation takes shape for improving the quality of life.
More details at www.mediciinstitute.org
Strategy mapping and benchmarking of processes and board alignment for executing strategy were big eye openers for us. We need to do a lot of work to be competitive.CEO of a chemicals company
This course has helped me streamline enterprise strategic intent better with the board. I was also able to communicate to my CEO how we have missed out on some important aspects of strategyDirector of a leading bank
I really enjoyed the sessions and would like to implement the same in our board. We faced many of the issues and problems pointed out in the workshop.Director of a Rs 5500 cr diversified group
Trainers have counseled a large number of clients at the SVP, EVP and president levels, and they've been uniformly pleased with the quality of advice and interaction.Borjana Fermaud GLG Institute Relationship Lead, USA
Very good! Hope I get a chance to come back
The program was very well received indeed! Great evaluationsAlysha, Yew Conference Producer, Marcus Evans Asia
No exaggeration when I say ‘excellent!
A very fruitful experience, the topics were very interesting.
Great program, very useful information and updates
A good and well put together programme
Very good materials -- excellent for new directors.
Open and refreshing attitude to contribution by delegates.
Informative; conducted very well.
Should be introduced to all boards... Excellent job!